Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Tuesday - Kebron

Today I went to Kebron.  It was even better than I had hoped.  The kids were just amazing in so many ways.  They are going to a private school in the community and doing well.  They were even able to communicate with me a little in English.  They were so happy having us visit.

I think I went in unprepared for the emotions of it.  I felt like I already knew these kids because of looking at the photos and personal information.  I also felt an attachment to them because of knowing the sponsors and thinking about them with their child.  I was overwhelmed with knowing that we WERE making a difference in their lives.  To see their face light up at getting a care package of pencils, cards, jewelry or candy was worth everything.  I was blessed.



Traveling to Kebron.  A glimpse of the crazy Ethiopian traffic!  Lanes are optional....




Women carrying their water home in large jugs.



Our shoe donations.  The kids loved them!




Working on the tote bag craft we brought.  They really worked hard.




Tote bag craft.




One of the final products.....amazing!!





The kids classroom for teaching and homework.  






One of the boys dorm rooms.  Note the new ball that wouldn't be set down!




The "kitchen" with the injera (Ethiopian bread) maker.  The lid and flat surface are made from mud.  The opening at the bottom is where you put the fuel to burn.  The concrete piece with the hole in it behind is the chimney opening.  The smoke travels up and out a hole in the roof.



The boys playing with their new playground balls and soccer balls.




A few of the boys at Kebron with some of their buddies!




Traditional Ethiopian coffee ceremony.   It is always served with popcorn (in the green bowl).




Hana getting her cross necklace from her sponsor family.....beautiful!!




My sponsor child with his new Cincinnati hat!  What a great smile!!




The tote bag finished product!




The boys hanging up their new prized artwork.  Thanks Wilson kids!




The kids and staff at Kebron.  Amazing people!!




One of many boys selling honeycomb by the side of the road.




Beautiful African sunset..........




We had dinner at a traditional Ethiopian restaurant.  Our feast of native foods.....delicious.  I chose to not try the dish made of raw beef.



Some of the traditional dances.


2 comments:

  1. Can't believe I spent all week with you and didn't get to see pictures of Kebron until I'm sitting at home! It looks like an amazing place, still wish it would have worked out for us to join you! From the look of it, your kids win an award for the most beautiful tote bags ever :)
    many hugs,
    apryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were so busy it was hard to even look at our own pictures! I am really enjoying looking at photos everyone is posting now. Yes, it is an amazing place. God is doing big things there. The kids had so much fun decorating the bags. They worked so hard!! They were a huge hit. Thank you so much for sharing some with me. Blessings! : )

    ReplyDelete